ALA365

June 14th, 2017
All Day Event
Event Details:

2017 Congressional Caucus & Public Policy Forum
- Highlighting the Importance of the Patron -
June 14, 2017

2017 ALA Congressional Caucus
A full house of resale and industry leaders, expert speakers, congressional members (House and Senate) and leaders from key beneficiary groups all weighed in on plans and process currently facing the federal government and the vital public private partnership at the foundation of the Defense Resale System.

Thank you to those ALA Member companies who help make this event possible through sposorship.

The American Logistics Association (ALA) would like to thank all the congressional members, industry leaders, and Coalition valued associates that spearheaded this year’s caucus. This was a true bi-partisan event that shows our service members, their families, veterans, retirees, and survivors have a strong voice.

Download - Media Packet with Speakers and Quotes

Senator Tim Kaine (D-VA.) 
Co-Chairman, Military Family CaucusMember
Senate Armed Services Committee 

"With one percent of the population serving in our military, it is important to go to Members and tell them how important these programs are."

Congressman Joe Wilson (R-S.C.)
Chairman, Readiness Subcommittee
House Armed Services Committee

"Our family knows first-hand how important military resale is to our military community. You also provide military spouses an opportunity for employment."

Congressman Robert Whitman (R-VA.)
Chairman, Seapower and Projection Forces Subcommittee
House Armed Services Committee

"Making sure we maintain our commissary and exchange is part of our obligation to the brave men and women in the military. You can count on my support."

Congressman Walter Jones (R-N.C.)
Military Personnel Subcommittee, House Armed Services Committee
Co-Sponsor, Military Patron Protection Act (H.R. 2850)

"Why anyone would want to jeopardize a benefit that is so important to the military is beyond me. Nothing would make me happier than to know I was part of the team that protected this benefit. It is the right thing to do for our military."

Congressman Tim Walz (D-Minn.)
Ranking Member, House Committee on Veterans Affairs Co-Sponsor
Military Patron Protection Act (H.R. 2850)

"Of all the benefits that military service members earn, the commissary is at the heart of service members’ daily life."

Congresswoman Madeleine Bordallo
(D-Guam)
Ranking Member, Readiness Subcommittee House Armed Services Committee

"You have my assurance that I remain committed to commissary and exchange programs."

Congressman Scott Taylor (R-VA.)
House Appropriations Committee

"We need to continue to fight for commissaries and exchanges!"

Ms. Eileen Huck
Government Relations Deputy Director
National Military Family Association

"The commissary is an essential element of the military compensation package. To many patrons, it also offers a sense of connection to the military family community. Preserving the value of this benefit for our military families must be a priority."

Mr. Jack Du Teil
Executive Director
United States Army Warrant Officers Association

"Research from our Military Coalition partner MOAA indicates that losing the commissary benefit would amount to a 9 percent pay cut, for an E5 [Sergeant], with a family of four."

Ms. Brooke Goldberg
Director, Military Family Policy/Spouse Programs
Military Officers Association of America

"Reforms that initially seem insignificant, like variable pricing and private label, have the potential to inadvertently and irreparably damage military families’ valued benefits. These benefits go beyond the commissary, including exchanges, family support, employment, benevolent community programs and more."

Contacts

American Logistics Association
1101 Vermont Avenue, NW
Suite 1002
Washington, DC 20005
Phone: (202) 466-2520
Fax: (240) 823-9181
email: membership@ala-national.org